Colorado Springs Notary - Leon Austin


split signing: when you can't be together

divided tableQuestion: My wife and I are in the process of getting a divorce.  We have a document that needs to be notarized, and it needs both of our signatures.  Is there some way that we can get it notarized without having to appear before a notary together?

Answer:  You will both have to appear before a notary to get the signatures notarized.  However, you don't have to appear before a notary together.  You don't even need to be in the same city.


This is referred to as a 'split signing'.

2 notarizationsFor example, Signer A appears before a notary in Colorado Springs to have her signature notarized on the document.  She sends it to Signer B who is living in Fort Collins.  Signer B takes the document to a notary and has his signature notarized.  The document has been signed by both parties and their signatures have been notarized.  They never saw each other the entire time.


Split signings can be done for many reasons.  In a real estate transaction, the wife may be in one state while her husband is in another state on business.  The wife can sign the loan documents, then have them overnighted to her husband to be signed.

Another reason for a split signing is if two people need to sign a document, but they work at different times and can't appear together before a notary.  I once did a closing like that.  I took the loan documents to the husband in the morning and had him sign them.  Then later that evening I brought the documents to the wife to have her sign them.


gapWhen two people need to have their signatures notarized, and simply can't appear together before a notary, a split signing is a solution.





Comment balloon 2 commentsLeon Austin • March 07 2009 03:53PM


This can happen all the time just due to timing and one person working different times than the other, or being out of town on business, etc. One can also get a power of attorney is needed - but be sure that the form of the POA  is approved by the lender and the title company (or attorneys - depending on what state you are in.)

Posted by Bob & Carolin Benjamin, East Phoenix Arizona Homes (Benjamin Realty LLC) about 11 years ago

It's easier to get a POA specific to the property if the split signing is needed on a real estate transaction.  All other things, great explanation on how people can sign at different times.

Posted by Donna Harris, Realtor,Mediator,Ombudsman,Property Tax Arbitrator (Donna Homes, powered by JPAR - about 11 years ago

This blog does not allow anonymous comments